Tutorial: SummerABS Accordions
Like all SummerABS exercises, the proper form is vastly more important than the number of reps. Remember that more is not better; Quality over quantity! Should you burn out before the allotted reps, stop, regroup, and do another set. If your abs feel fully engaged and you are executing the motion and the breathing well, that is what is important. Stand up between each set and see if you feel a “drawn-in, taller” sensation from deep inside. If so, you have found that SummerABS feeling. If you absolutely need a number of repetitions to go for, start with ten total on one side, then ten on the other side. Work your way up to twenty on each side.
The emphasis is on working from the bottom of the muscle rather than the top, and you want to keep the focus on deepening the scoop into your abdominal cavity throughout any of these exercises, then twist. When doing it this way, the whole muscle is always engaged; this makes all the difference and is the foundation of what I will teach you here with SummerABS. The results speak for themselves; flatten that lower pouch and define your midriff.
In the video, we are demonstrating this exercise on a Bosu ball, but you may do it on a yoga mat, carpet, towel. A physio ball is too unstable for this exercise.
Proper Posture, Technique and Tips
- Take a seat on the Bosu with the ball side up, put your hands next to your sides, and move yourself so that your tailbone is by the third ring or so on the Bosu. This varies according to your height. Make sure the Bosu is following the curve of your spine and you feel supported.
- Stretch your right arm diagonally out on the floor, fingers spread out like a tarantella.
- Cross your right ankle over your left knee
- put your left hand behind your head
- reach back and look over your elbow, inhale
- Start in a flat crunch position, scoop abs deep into spine. Keeping the body low and abs active/engaged at all times.
- Start to exhale as you initiate in the lower abdomen at the very lowest point of your abs and make a scoop.
- when you have come up past flat, start to twist towards the right, twisting your waist, as if wringing out a shirt.
- Focus on Continuously scooping and allowing your abs to concave throughout the movement
- reach back
- Relax your neck and upper shoulders
- start with 10 on Left, 10 on Right, then gradually work your way up to 20 on each side.
To get back up from the ball when finished with a set, set your hands on the Bosu behind your butt, and lift yourself up into a sitting position on top of the Bosu. Watch the video to get a very clear visual for this.
Summer: Juicy Couture
Meegan Descheneaux: H&M